Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Look Out! Golf Season is here!


I am a walking contradiction. I am probably the klutziest person known to man, yet I love the game of golf. I should take a minute to mention how horribly bad I am at all sports... including this one. I hit the ground more often than I hit the ball, and I'm quite sure I look like an idiot when I swing my girlie clubs. I believe that I hit geese more often than the green, but this is unimportant. What is important is that rush of adrenaline that shoots through my veins when I actually hit the ball in the correct spot, the correct way, and it goes roughly where I hoped it would. Then I can finally say, "I did it! Did you see that shot? I'm amazing!" Of course, this could all go down hill rapidly with a badly played chip that was supposed to land on the green but somehow managed to bounce of the cart of the team playing the hole next to the one I'm on... but for that brief moment, I am the best golfer who ever lived.

I have to admit, I found golf scary and very intimidating at first. It seemed an "upper-classmen" sport where I didn't really fit in. This is not the case. Look around the clubroom and what you will see is a lot of people trying to look posh and sophisticated, but who are really just everyday people with a set of used clubs and some fancy duds. Just like me. There are plenty of people, who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, who are just there because they love the game, the challenge, and the culture of golf.

It's raining now, but as soon as it clears up I off! Happy golfing!

9 comments:

Jerry K said...

I'm pretty bad at golf, too, especially when I get to the little windmill.

http://funwithchickens.blogspot.com/

SandyCarlson said...

Enjoy your game after the rain!

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Hi, Jewels! This is terrific! You are very, very funny...and a lot of fun, too! Your blog has a very conversational feel, and so is very welcoming! I love it! Thanks for stopping by my blog, and for your thoughtful, and kind comments. It is great to "meet" you!

david mcmahon said...

Thanks for the wonderful comment on my N Is For Numbers post.

And yes, Melbourne has great golf courses - but you probably know that.

lime said...

ya know, if my first experience with golf had been in your company as opposed to the screaming lunatic who berated me when i hit the ground, or trees or geese i might have developed a love for the sport. good on ya. i like your spunk.

thanks for stopping by my place. :)

Jewels said...

Sandy - It never did stop raining... still going in fact. Perhaps I'll get a chance tomorrow! Thanks for stopping by!

Siniffles - You're a sweetie, thanks!

David - Melborne is on my wish list of places to go if I ever have enough money for a plane ticket!

Lime - Whoever did that to you should be hit over the head with a golf club! What an ass. If you ever want to give it another go, find a friend that you can be comfortable doing anything in front of and you'll have a blast laughing at yourself and them! Or just go hang out in the club and watch other people looking silly for a while and you'll soon realize that you're not alone... after all... if we could ALL be good at golf, we'd all be professionals wouldn't we? Take care.

Jewels said...

Jerry, I hate the one with the windmill too! lol

Carolina said...

We live next to one of the poshest golfcourses in the Netherlands. And one of the oldest I believe. It used to be a country estate. The actual house is now in use as hole 19 (isn't that the technical term for 'bar'?)
If we jump over our gardenfence (you will not believe how agile we still are) we are on the golfcourse. Before we erected that fence our dogs were often to be found on the golfcourse. And, since they are of the retriever kind, the golfers were not happy golfers when the ball they just hit was brought back to them at great speed. Hence the fence.

Jewels said...

LOL!! Caro, you kill me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...