Monday, March 02, 2009

The Twilight Craze


When the book Twilight by Stephanie Myers came out, followed closely by the movie... I admit, I was skeptical and not so interested. I do have a thing for vampire movies though, so I did plan to watch it eventually. While I was waiting for it to hit theatres, I picked up the first book. I wasn't expecting much as it was written for teens... I was pleasently surprised. I am now a complete addict. I read the first 350 pages yesterday and had trouble putting it down to get some sleep before work. Completely fabulous book. I had read some silly review from Stephen King earlier that said Myers was a horrible author and the book was crap... someone should shoot that man. Her character development was fabulous, and her descriptions so detailed (without being overly flowery), that I actually felt like I could look up from the book and see fog and mist. The story itself is very simple, but looks at the whole vampire legend/culture from a bit of a different angle. This isn't Buffy the Vampire Slayer, (which I was completely expecting). I can relate to the main character, even though she is seventeen and I'm 27, and when I'm reading, I feel like I AM her... the sign of a well written book. I'm so absorbed when I'm reading that I forget my surroundings. However, I will issue you a warning... if you're looking for the next piece of Great American Literature... this isn't it. It is a incredibly entertaining piece, but an easy read, targeted at teens and young adults.
Have you read it? Tell me what you think!

4 comments:

A Woman Of No Importance said...

I bought it last week, I shall get around to it shortly - There is such a buzz about it, isn't there? Thank you for your review! I wonder what Stephen King is worried about, surely he has had more than his fair slice of the horror and sci-fi pie over the years?!

Will let you know what I think soon...

Jewels said...

I'm catching the movie tonight...will review tomorrow!

Maybe King is jealous of all the attention the brand new writer is getting? His days of mass media are somewhat over.. he hasn't produced a best seller in years, (that I know of).

Carolina said...

If you like vampire movies: have you seen Sean of the Dead? It's hilariously British, but so funny and with lots of blood and beheading and vampires too! Lots of them.
Anyway, will try to catch this book somewhere. Thanks for pointing it out to the people who hadn't heard of it (yet), like me!

Hugs xx

Jewels said...

SEAN OF THE DEAD is one of my favourite movies of ALL time! I laughed so hard my abs hurt for 2 days. My favourite scene is the one where they're dancing around the zombie hitting it with shovels... I forget what the song was that was playing, but SO FUNNY! I love british comedy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...