Monday, January 19, 2009

Creativity

How do we learn to be creative? Is it a gene that some people have, and others don't? Personally, I think it is a primarily nurtured gift. Those who are exposed to the arts and creative thinking as children will have stronger gifts as adults. However, like language or any other skill, it's lost if not exercised regularly. You have to stretch you creative muscles to grow.

The big question is... why am I more creative on some days rather than others? This weekend for example, I had the time, the tools, and the space, but I couldn't come up with a single exciting idea to excersize my creativity. Everything I put down on paper looked like someone elses work (and sub par at that). It seemed that because my own creativtiy was lacking, my brain automatically mashed together examples of other peoples work and output that as a back-up plan. Where did my own creative identity go? Maybe it is just taking a break. I hope it comes back soon, I've got 5 days off coming and am looking forward to spending most of it in my work room. Maybe I just need to find the right inspiration!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Personally, I think it's partly hormonal - it's always made a difference to me - even my handwriting changes with my cycle! The thing to do when creativity closes down is to completely immerse yourself in other people's creativity. Go visit an art gallery, listen to some inspiring music at full throttle, be in nature (Mother Nature, after all, is the ultimate creative spirit)and chances are, you will find that little spark to take you back to your own creativity. Good luck with it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...